Friday, November 19, 2010

You Have To Be Kidding...

Yes I've been going to the gym.  Stop nagging me, will ya?? (oh wait, I asked you to...sorry).  I've been going sometimes in the morning and sometimes in the evening with the boys (my oldest has introduced me to the joy of the resistance bands).  I'm even starting to enjoy it.  Ok, that's not entirely true but if I keep saying it, maybe I'll believe it. I'm still not going as often as I should but I'll get there.

Now, however, there is a new dilemma.  I'm trying to get "outside the box".  I am (was?) considering the idea of taking a class.  Not just any class...noooooo.  I want to try a spin class.  Stop laughing.  Seriously...cut it out.  Listen, I've been on the other side of the door while class was going on "in there"...I've heard the music turned up loud so as to drown out the moans of agony and the grunts of misery.  Let me add that on the outside of the door to class is a sign which reads: Do not enter this class unless you can answer YES to both of these questions: 1) I have eaten something within the last 3 hours  2) I am well hydrated.   Well hell, this does not bode well.  On the other hand, a friend of mine loves it and told me not to be afraid, which I took to mean I should be very afraid.  Alright I'll take the leap.  After we worked out the other night, on the way out, I stopped at the front desk and asked for a spin schedule (the first step is the hardest).  I ask if there is a beginners class...I'm no dummy!  The nice Y guy says, "nope".  Hmmm...ok then.  Then I remembered a sign on the door saying you have to sign up at the front desk for the class.  I inquire if I would have to sign up the night before if I wanted to attend the 5:45am class (can you IMAGINE starting your day in a worse way??  Me neither!)  Then some Y woman who doesn't often smile and in my experience is nothing more than the bearer of bad news says, "That class fills up fast.  They're waiting in the parking lot before we even open." (for those not in the know..they open at 5:30am) WHAT??  Let me get this straight.  They are waiting...before 5:30am to take a class that causes gutteral utterances that can only be compared to the sounds of a woman in middle of full blown labor...without an epidural!!  Now I'm not only supposed to get up before work...before anything, don my uber sexy sweats and head out into the increasingly cold morning air to work out but now I'm going to go the extra step and super-torment myself??  Have you met me?? Does this sound like something "I" would do?? Ya know what??  I think I'll just hit the snooze, pull up the covers and think about for just one more morning...

2 comments:

  1. A spin class huh? There is NOTHING I would do at 5:30 in the morning...I am not being unsupportive, but perhaps there is a 5:45 pm class? What about a Zumba class, they look fun?
    I am glad that you keep going to the gym...you are a better woman than I am! But, still going to nag you, until you are going as often as you say you want to...love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shan, the class IS at 5:45. The gym opens at 5:30. People more intent on beating up their bodies than I show up at 5:15 and wait to be in there first b/c there is a limited amount of room in the class. Loonies...all of them!

    ReplyDelete