Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Love Conquers Hate....

Today I got up dreading the day. DREADING.  I knew how much we had to get done at work and I knew it wasn't going to happen quickly.  Boy, was I right!!  We didn't leave work until 5:15 (after getting in at 7:45)..and considering I was on my feet most of the day, I was beat and couldn't wait to get home.  First, however, I had to pick up my oldest darling at a friend's house...where he went when he couldn't get on the late bus (don't ask...long, drawn out, convoluted story!)

Anyway, during my car drive, my dad called.  I don't know what the original purpose of the call was.  As a matter of face, I think he may have been returning my call.  About 5 minutes into our chat, he says, "have you seen the news?"  "ummmm, no Dad, I've been at work all day. Why?"  To which he responds, "oh because they repealed Don't Ask Don't Tell" ...to which I respond, "WHAT?????"  He informed me that a judge in San Francisco had ruled that the ban on gays in the military is unconstitutional ...and I couldn't agree more! Of course, this could be appealed but I don't think it will be.  I believe this is a long time coming.  I believe the Log Cabin Republicans, who brought this case to court, had justice on their side and I believe this is finally a step in the right direction for this country.  You know, into the direction of "all men are created equal"..yeah, that direction that we seem all too often to forget about.  I have written letters and donated money..heck I own a "Repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell" shirt...this is a cause that means a lot to me.  Many in my family have chosen to wear a military uniform and serve this country.  If you want to join the ranks of those of us willing to make the ultimate sacrifice, then I have no right to judge whom you love... The only thing I need to do is say "Thank You".  In a time when we have a war on 2 fronts, we shouldn't be turning folks away based on who they have a date with Saturday night.  No one's private life is our business and as such, has no impact on their ability to serve!  Truly believing this verdict is monumental, my day improved immediately...and if ya know me at all, you better believe there were tears.

Later on tonight, after a rousing hour of Glee with the boys and some chit chat about sports, our day and the goings on in the world, I stumble upon a story which states that FL is NOT going to appeal the law that says banning gay adoption is unconstitutional.  Dear God.... 2 amazing court decisions in one day.  Twice someone deemed that the homosexuals among us are EQUAL to us and to treat them any differently is unconstitutional...  I suspected this day might come but wasn't sure when.  Of course, it saddens me that in 2010, we are still waiting for equal rights for any Americans but the truth is, we are.  The truth is, it may take baby steps to get to a point where the law recognizes gay marriage and to get to where the term "that's gay" isn't bantered about thoughtlessly.  But as long as we're taking baby steps, we're still moving in the right direction...in faith and with love on our side...

No comments:

Post a Comment