Thursday, October 14, 2010

Pondering humanity...

I have a lot to say about the last 2 days.  I'm going to try to keep it brief until I can gather my thoughts as I feel they are a bit convoluted.

In the last 2 days, I have heard some of what I believe to be what is clearly wrong with society and also seen what I believe to be the best we have to offer.  Let's start with what's wrong.  I have heard bigoted slurs thrown about by women I thought were so much better than that (sad to find out you're wrong)..and then heard them completely justify said comments.  It makes me lose faith that we, as a people, can grow and evolve to more closely represent who we want to be as a society.  Making excuses for poor behavior is no longer acceptable to me and I refuse to sit idly by and listen to it.  I will speak up on my own behalf, on behalf of my sons, whom I'm hoping to raise to be kind, decent men and on behalf of those who can't speak up for themselves.  I will not be bullied or be made to feel badly for my beliefs when they are honorable and just.

And just when I am wondering if we're lost as a society b/c of our negativity, bigotry and divisiveness, a miracle occurred.  It was in the form of 33 Chilean miners.  33 men who lived for 2 months together underground.  They had no one but each other.  They relied on one another for company and to keep each others spirits up in what can safely be assumed to be the worst time of their lives.  These men are an example of perseverance.  They are an example of what faith and hope can accomplish, for as much as we owe a debt of gratitude to the men who orchestrated their rescue, their survival 2300 feet below ground was all up to them.  The country of Chile, and the world, pulled together to root for these men to accomplish a feat that has never before been accomplished.  By all rights, someone should've gotten ill, some terrible fights should've broken out...someone should be dead.  But that didn't happen.  At least not to the extent you'd expect.  In fact, these men fought about who would be the last one out b/c each one wanted to be sure his "brothers" were out (and safe) before him...  These men, to me, are a beacon of hope,  (as are the citizens of Chile, who never wavered in their support of these men and their rescuers) ...for all that is right, positive and good in the world.   Thank God for them...as they allowed me to go to bed with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment