Monday, December 10, 2012

SNAP Challenge..... Day 1

Today is the day we started the SNAP challenge.  So far, so good...but it's only the beginning.

For breakfast I had steel cut oats with cinnamon and 1/2 grapefruit. I was missing protein..mostly because I forgot to buy it. I remedied that today! This is why I left myself some wiggle room!

For lunch I'd packed an apple w/ a tablespoon of peanut butter & a salad. I ate the apple but then got so busy chatting with my pal Nancy (who is in Ukraine to adopt her daughter) that I didn't have time to eat the salad. Now I'm really down protein for the day. Not good!

For dinner (finally!!!), we had a crock pot meal. It consisted of a can of corn, a can of black beans, 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, salsa and fat free cream cheese (that I scored for .99). Not only was it delicious but we have enough left over that we'll have enough for another protein filled meal & possibly even a little more! 

The only thing we drank today was water but we have milk & almond milk. We're big water drinkers so I'm not too worried about feeling like I'm missing something in that dept. Luckily neither of us drink soda of coffee with caffeine so we have no concerns about going through caffeine withdrawal. Whew! That would be miserable. 

No snack as we sit & watch tv tonight. I would usually have an apple. I'm not feeling hungry so I'll leave them for another time. 

Overall, I was pretty hungry by dinner. I didn't eat most of my salad lunch & if I did, I hadn't packed protein anyway. Tonight, on the way home from work, I picked up turkey sausage: 10 links for $1.25. I figure 1 or 2 will add a little protein with breakfast.  I also picked up the .99 fat free cream cheese. The additional $2.25 keeps us below $50.00 for the week so we have about $13 left in wiggle room.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get Zach to blog his meals & thoughts as well. For now though, it's a snack-less night as I crawl into bed with my book!  Sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment